Department Exercise Groups
- Human Resources Home
- Seeking Employment?
- Employee Info Gateway
- Equal Opportunity & Compliance
- Forms Finder
- Manager's Toolkit
- Welcome New Employee!
- Workers' Compensation
As part of an ongoing effort to encourage employees in healthy lifestyles with an element of fun, consider making your mark on wellness by joining a department exercise group.
For 5 months through a program offered by the American Heart Association (AHA), employees track their physical activities and/or daily caloric intake from food through a free tool offered by AHA to companies called MyStart! Online.
This is an opportunity for employees to work towards achieving their exercise goals within the encouragement of a team environment. Employees will not only be working individually and as a department, but as a university with other health conscious companies taking part in this program. All activity levels are welcome. There's no limit to how many employees are on a team or how many days per week you exercise.
There are a variety of exercise options to choose from such as Aerobics, Climbing Stairs, Cycling Inside, Cycling Outside, Dancing, Golf, Rollerblading, Running, Swimming, Walking, Weightlifting, and Yoga.
Each quarter (every 2 - 3 months), the team steps will be totaled and the team with the highest average steps generated in that time period will win a complementary team meal at one of CSUMB's dining facilities (courtesy of University Corporation) and the honor of making your mark, signing the "Sole Power" shoe, to be showcased in the department until the next quarter ends. However, the true reward and focus of this program is for employees to see their progress each month towards achieving their exercise goals.
The department exercise groups look to encourage participants to make their M.A.R.K. on wellness by focusing on the following:
Motivation to Move
Establish a habit of exercising by following the physical activity guidline minimums set forth by the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) and the American Heart Association (AHA):
- moderately intense cardio, 30 minutes a day, five days per week; or
- vigorously intense cardio, 20 minutes a day, 3 days per week; and
- do 8 to 10 strength-training exercises, 8 to 12 repititions of each exercise twice a week.
- Strive to ultimately achieve the recommended daily exercise goal of 10,000 steps, the equivalent of 5 miles.
- Promote walking during work breaks and/or lunch.
- Prepare for the Workplace Walk-off Challenge in March!
Set individual and team exercise goals while building comraderie with your colleagues.
Develop a bounce-back plan to keep exercising when set backs present themselves.
Offer a variety of educational opportunities through our Benefits Lunch & Learn Series to assist in making informed and health-minded decisions.
Each department interested in participating needs to:
- Select a team captain who will consistently promote the exercise group to the department, work with the group to set team goals, and be the group contact.
- Register the department team (team captain and known participants) by filling out the team roster and turn it in to HR. HR Benefits will then give you the team captain's packet of information.
- Interested employees can contact their department team captain to join the team.
- Team Captains: You or a team representative will need to attend a team captain's informational meeting to go over program logistics. The day and time will be handed out upon team registration.
- Have each member fill out a CSUMB Waiver of Liability form and turn into the team captain. Once collected, team captains will turn in all waivers during the team captain's meeting. A Waiver of Liability form must be on file for each participating team member in order to officially count his/her scores.
- Register on the AHA website MyStart! Online (See your team captain for specific CSUMB directions).
- Start exercising and tracking your progress.
Don't miss this new, exciting opportunity that makes healthy living fun and attainable!