Any current periods of absence will be charged to your personal leave accruals. If your claim is accepted, you will receive full pay on the day of injury. The first three calendar days of lost time (after date of injury) are considered as the waiting period and will be charged to leave credits. Any time off must be authorized by the doctor in order for the lost time to be covered under workers' compensation benefits. Once you have returned to work, any visits to the doctor or therapy treatments are charged to your leave credits.

If your claim is accepted, you are entitled to medical treatment for the industrial injury. Our carrier will pay all medical expenses related to the industrial injury. These would include, but not limited to, doctor visits, physical therapy, mileage to doctor visits and prescriptions.

If you are a contributing member of the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), you are entitled to Industrial Disability Leave Benefits, which provide 22 days of your net salary (not charged to your sick leave). If the industrial disability continues beyond 22 working days, the payment will be two-thirds of the gross monthly salary. Industrial Disability Leave Benefits commence after the third day of absence.

California Workers' Compensation Laws give the employer the right to designate the attending physician for the first 30 days of treatment. After that time, you may change to a physician of your choice by notifying our claims administrator in advance.

You have the right to be treated by your personal physician during the first 30 days of treatment if you have submitted a "Designation of Physician for Treatment of Work-Related Injury" form prior to the injury. The "Designation of Physician for Treatment of Work-Related Injury" form must be on file in Human Resources (HR). The forms are available in HR and on-line.

Depending on the nature of your injury, once you have completely recovered you may be entitled to permanent disability benefits. Our claims administrator (Sedgwick CMS) will send you to a physician for disability rating purposes. If you are found by the Disability Ratings Bureau to have any permanent disability, our claims administrator will prepare necessary documents and forward those to you.

If you are injured such that you can no longer perform your profession, then you may be entitled to supplemental job displacement. This will be determined from the medical reports and our claims administrator will contact you.